IOM convened from 18 to 19 June 2013 the Diaspora Ministerial Conference. IOM’s milestone high-level meeting focused on diaspora, invited governments and experts to share their experiences in order to identify better ways to engage, enable and empower diaspora communities, and promote them as development actors.
Governments at both ends of the migration cycle increasingly recognize the value of diasporas’ engagements with their countries of origin. Developing a Road Map for Engaging Diasporas in Development, offers policymakers and practitioners a user-friendly and practical guide on the state of the art in governmental diaspora initiatives.
"Migration for Development in Africa" (MIDA) is a capacity-building programme, which helps to mobilize competencies acquired by African nationals abroad for the benefit of Africa's development.
IOM’s 3E’s Strategy to Enable, Engage and Empower Diaspora
Drawing on its long-standing experience, IOM has formulated a comprehensive strategic approach centred on the 3Es for action: to enable, engage and empower transnational communities as agents for development – with each area involving a range of interventions by governments and other stakeholders, supported by IOM through policy advice and programming.
Maximizing the positive relationship between migration and development has long been a focus of the work of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Diaspora Related Projects
- MANUAL DEL REGRESO PARA CHILENOS EN EL EXTERIOR
- Human Development Report 2013
- Migration for Development in Africa MIDA: Ghana, Senegal
- WMIDA Migrant Women for Development in Africa
- Mandasoldiacasa.it The first Italian website on remittances transfer
- RETURN OF QUALIFIED AFGHANS (RQA) PROGRAMME
- QUESTS-MIDA (Qualified Expatriate Somali Technical Support)
- Focus on Migration: Migration, Diaspora and Development
- The Mobilization of Moroccans Residing in Belgium for the Development of Morocco programme (MEDMA 2)
- MIDA Ghana Health project
- The Migration Development Nexus
- Migration for Development in Africa - Mobilizing the African Diasporas for the Development of Africa
- Living Across Worlds: Diaspora, Development and Transnational Engagement
- Migration and Development Within and Across Borders: Research and Policy Perspectives on Internal and International Migration
- The MIDA Experience and Beyond
- A dialogue in Action: Linking Emigrant Communities for more Development (ICPMD-IOM)
- Migration and Development: Migrant Stories
- Mainstreaming Migration into Development Planning: A Handbook for Policy-makers and Practitioners
- Migration for Development: A Bottom-Up Approach (JMDI)
- IOM/MPI Diaspora Handbook